Strawberry Lemon Muffins
I’ve been on a baking kick lately. These were a fun Saturday morning treat the kids and I made while my hubby and his friends were working on putting the sprinkling system in our yard.
It was raining and I knew that they would want something warm and cozy to snack on. Plus, let’s face it, I love any reason to bake. It’s a hobby really.
Strawberry Lemon Muffins (printable recipe)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 small lemons, completely zested
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/4 cups sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups chopped strawberries
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice For the glaze:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sugar crystals or clear sprinkles (you can use regular sugar, but I like the way the sugar crystals look)
- lemon zest
- Preheat the oven 350 degrees. Grease a muffin pan; set aside.
- Chop and rinse the strawberries and let them sit out to dry.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients; flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, stir together the egg and 1 cup of sugar until it forms a paste. Add 1 T. of lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla. Add the melted butter and stir to combine. Add the sour cream in 2 additions, stirring until just combined.
- Slowly stir in the flour mixture. Don’t over mix.
- Sprinkle about a tablespoon of flour over the strawberries, toss to coat, fold them into the batter.
- Spoon the batter into the greased muffin pan. About 3 tablespoons of batter per muffin.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until lightly golden, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow muffins to cool on a wire rack.
- While muffins are cooling. Mix together 1/4 cup of the sugar and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat in a small sauce pan until the sugar is dissolved
- In a small bowl, combine 1/3 cup sugar crystals or sprinkles with the remaining lemon zest.
- Dip each muffin into the melted sugar and lemon mixture, then dip into the sugar crystal and lemon zest mixture.