Bite Size Beignets
Bite Size Beignets! These are a great Sunday dinner treat and they are super easy. We loved them plain but also dipped them in hot fudge. I think they would be great with jam or even with Nutella! Anyways, enjoy!!
1 1/2 cups warm water
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 envelope active dry yeast
3 egg whites slightly beaten
1 1/4 teaspoons sea salt
1 cup whole milk
7 1/2 cups of bread flour
1/4 cup shortening
Oil for deep-frying
3 cups powdered sugar
1. Mix water, sugar, and yeast in kitchen aide mixing bowl and let stand for 10 minutes.
2. In a separate bowl whisk together egg whites, salt and milk. After the ten minutes, mix with the yeast mixture.
3. Add about 3 cups of the bread flour to the yeast mixture and mix until well blended.
4. Add shortening and mix well. Add remaining flour, then knead in stand mixer until the dough is smooth.
5. Take the dough from the bowl, spray the bowl with oil and place dough inside cover with plastic wrap or a towel and allow to rise in a warm place for 2 hours.
6. Preheat the oil in the deep-fryer to about 350 degrees, or we had it heat on medium.
7. Roll out the dough about 1/4 of an inch thickness then cut into 1×1 inch squares. Then cook in the oil. They cook really fast so make sure you are watching them closely.
8. After frying them place them on cooling racks covered in paper towels to drain the oil.
9. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes then toss them in powdered sugar, in a bowl or a bag.