Layers of cut-up tortillas, chicken, cheese, and a creamy sour cream sauce combine to create this delicious family favorite…Chicken Tortilla Casserole!
I’m all about the comfort food in January! January is my least favorite month of the year because it seems like the cold goes right through to your bones.
After a long day of work, school, and all the errands you have to run “just being a mom” this cheesy, goodness will hit the spot! It is quick and easy to make and I promise you will be glad you did.
2 to 3 cups of Rotisserie chicken, shredded
Chicken gravy, recipe follows
1cup canned green chiles, chopped and drained
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
Small corn tortillas
3 cups cheddar, shredded
1 stick of butter
6 Tablespoons flour
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13×9 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan, combine 2 1/3 cups of chicken broth, the chicken gravy (see below), green chiles, onions, garlic, sour cream, cumin, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat.
- Spread 1 cup of the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Arrange a layer of 6 tortillas over the mixture, and then top with 1 cup chicken mixture and 1/2 cup of the cheese.
- Repeat this layer three more times, ending with cheese.
- Spread any remaining mixture over the cheese. Make sure all of the tortillas are covered. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and whisk in the flour to make a roux.
- Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture bubbles and the flour turns light brown in color.
- Gradually whisk in the stock and milk and continue to stir while cooking over medium heat.
- When the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes, whisk in some salt and pepper, to taste.
You Might Like These Recipes!