I didn’t set out to make my own baby food because I was running for organic mom of the month or anything like that. I actually thought it was kind of a dumb idea when I first thought of it. It looked like too much effort for something that was so cheap. But… then my husband and I decided to get serious about saving for a new house and I wanted to find ways to save a little more money.
I was going to be spending about $30 a month on baby food, and all the pinterest tutorials were telling me I would only spend $5 a month and one hour of my time, so I decided to give it a try. Overall I spent about $11 and 2 1/2 hours of my time, but I think I have enough food to last two months and I’m not really a speed demon in the kitchen anyway. Plus I would suggest that you do this while your baby is napping… my mistake!
Overall I would definitely suggest doing this, especially if you enjoy cooking and want to save money.
WHAT YOU NEED:
3 sweet potatoes
25 baby carrots (or equivalent)
1 bag frozen green peas
1. Wash all produce.
2. Poke holes in your sweet potato and bake at 400 degrees until fork tender (about 30 minutes)
3. Meanwhile, cut out the cores of your apples and pears and cut into cubes. (I used an apple cutter)
4. Simmer apples and pears on low until fork tender.
5. Bring carrots to a boil until fork tender.
6. Heat green peas in microwave for 4 minutes.
7. After cooking each set of food, transfer the fruit/vegtable to a blender and puree.
8. Pour into ice cube trays, cover with foil and freeze for 3-4 hours.
9. Once frozen, transfer cubes into ziplock bags!
To feed your little one, microwave as many cubes as you need for about 30 seconds!