I hate housework. Which seems to be an unfortunate hate to have in life since it routinely needs to be done. Due to my dislike and what I would like to claim as creativity though, I have developed some unorthodox ways to get your housework done while still enjoying life!
1. 5 Minute Clean: Have you noticed that you seem to get more cleaned the five minutes before someone arrives than you usually do in a month? Use that to your advantage! When you find yourself having one of those “the house needs to be cleaned but there are a million other things I’d rather be doing” moments, time yourself! (Yeah this is for real.) You will be a lot more effective because instead of taking a break every thirty seconds to look at Pinterest, you’ll stay focused on cleaning, it won’t feel so dreadful and time consuming, and you’ll be surprised at how much you can do in just five minutes.
2. Laundry Exercises: Are you a multi-tasker? Tackle your laundry and your cardio workout at the same time! Crank the music and put your freshly cleaned laundry up on a bed or couch for easy access. Then start with some basic cardio moves as you sort and fold! (It’s easier than you think) For example: jog in place, grape vine, side steps, kicks, lunges, squats, half jacks, torso twist, etc. just get creative and let the music take over! (WARNING: do not do this in front of your husband. He will literally think you’ve gone crazy…)
3. Deep Clean Challenge: Everything’s more fun if it’s a game right? Choose your weapon of choice, (Clorox wipes, windex, steamer, lime away, etc.) and give yourself (or your kids) a time limit. Then move around the house and see how much you can clean with that weapon in the time limit.
4. Fitness Attitude: I once heard on the radio that the reason women are more overweight now as opposed to “back then” is because we do a lot less housework. This may or may not be true, but it helps me to imagine that I’m getting some tonnage in while I’m cleaning! When ever you’re scrubbing/bending/reaching/stretching while cleaning exaggerate it so that you for sure are getting a workout!
5. When all else fails…. crank the music and just do it!