On Christmas morning everyone has their favorite breakfast dishes and it varies from family to family. Today, I’m going to share some of my families favorites for that special day! The first one, is my husband’s favorite and it’s his dad’s family tradition. Mike thinks it comes from his Danish heritage but isn’t positive. All he knows is that his Grandma Florence would make it each year and he loves it!
It’s kind of different, but a really healthy alternative breakfast. I would describe it as a meat gravy, my son-in-law calls it meat Jell-O. The ones that love this dish have to make it each year because they crave, and love it so much!
3 pounds pork shoulder
3 1/2 pounds turkey or chicken
2 to 2 1/2 pounds pork liver
2 envelope Knox gelatin
salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook pork and turkey in the same pot until well done. Let cool, and then de-bone and grind the meat.
- Cook the pork liver in a separate pot (you can get a liver from the butcher), changing and discarding the water several times.
- Cool, grind and then add to the pork and turkey mixture. Add the liquid from the pork and turkey pot, as much as you would like, and salt and pepper to taste Add 2 envelope of Knox Gelatin to the pot.
- Let it set up in the fridge and then cut up into serving sizes (this depends on the size of your family), wrap and freeze.
- To serve, add a small amount of water, and warm on a low heat. Pour over bread, add a sunny side up egg and garnish with chili sauce or ketchup.