I worked all through high school at everyone’s favorite fast food place in Spanish Fork. Every once in awhile I just get a craving for homemade onion rings and pronto pups! The kids love when we do this because they think its cool that we can make this in our own kitchen.
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 egg, separated
1 cup milk (if you like the batter thinner, you can add more milk)
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
Oil for deep-frying
- Start warming your oil to cook.
- Slice onions into rings. Mix together flour, salt, pepper,thyme and baking powder
- In another bowl, beat egg yolk, then stir in milk and vegetable oil.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients. Stir until smooth.
- Dip the onions into the batter, completely covering the onion.
- Make sure your grease isn’t too hot, after the oil gets hot, I turn it down to a low heat. This will give your onions time to cook in the middle and the outside crust can stay golden brown.
- Pull onion rings out of the grease and place them on a plate with a paper towel. This will soak up the extra grease.
To prepare your hot dogs; pick your favorite dog and put the stick in the end. Flour the hot dog, it will help the batter stick better.
We love tartar sauce on our onion rings! This tartar has the perfect zing for your ring!
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
2 Tablespoons sweet pickle relish
1 Tablespoon minced onion
3 Tablespoons Fresh lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, relish, and minced onion.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- Season to taste with the salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.