Deep Fried Mac and Cheese
I was watching the Today show the other morning while my girls got ready for school. They were featuring a restaurant that made deep fried mac and cheese circles that they used as their buns for their hamburgers. I thought hmmmmmm, I need to try that!!
Simple, simple and really delicious! Andie gave this recipe two thumbs up, and that’s really good because she is so picky. I didn’t try it with the burger but I can only imagine that would take it over the top.
4 cups cooked elbow macaroni, drained
2 cups grated cheese,(I used a Mexican blend, which gave it a little spice)
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup sour cream
4 Tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place cooked and drained macaroni in a large bowl and while still hot, add the grated cheese.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and add the macaroni mixture.
- Pour macaroni mixture into a casserole dish and bake for 30 to 45 minutes. Top with additional cheese.
- Chill in the fridge overnight and cut into any shape you like.
- Heat 2 inches of oil in a large skillet. Medium heat.
- Dredge each mac and cheese shape in flour, then egg, and then bread crumbs to coat.
- Fry for about 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Drain on a paper towel before serving.