This one pot easy pumpkin chili can be made with turkey or your favorite ground meat and is ready in 30 minutes! It’s a hearty, comforting, healthy and a meal that everyone will love, even the kids!
When Fall is in the air, it’s naturally means it’s time for chili! I make chili at least once a week in the Fall and Winter months.
We have a spilt in our family. We have lovers of the pumpkin flavor and those that just don’t like it. So, when I decided to make this I made two kinds of chili, just in case. Guess what? Everyone loved the Pumpkin Chili! The pumpkin flavor is not strong, it just enhances the other flavors in the chili. It’s so creamy and delicious!!
Swap Your Add-Ins
I had a lot of fun testing this recipe because there are SO many add-ins to play with. Instead of pinto beans, feel free to use chick peas. In place of kidney beans, use more black beans. If you don’t have a bell pepper, that’s cool! As long as you stick with the base of this chili including the spices, onion, garlic, broth, pumpkin, and diced tomatoes– you can really play around with the extras.
How Spicy Is This?
The vegetarian pumpkin chili as written is mildly spicy. In fact, as I ate my first bowl, I added another pinch of chili powder. (And I can’t tolerate super spicy food!) Feel free to adjust the chili powder based on your spice tolerance and you can leave out the jalapeño if desired. If removing some spice, however, keep in mind that some flavor will be lost. You can add a little more cumin, garlic, or onion powder in its place.
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 15 oz. can pumpkin puree
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Pinch of cayenne (optional)
- 1–2 cups chicken broth (depending on how thick you want it)
- Heat large stock pot or Dutch oven on stove. Add butter when warm.
- Add in onion, jalapeno, and pepper and let sauté for a few minutes until slightly soft.
- Add in garlic and let cook for one more minute.
- Add in ground turkey, breaking it up and cooking until no longer pink.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in your pumpkin, beans, diced tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Mix all spices in a little bowl and then add into your chili mixture.
- Pour in three cups of chicken broth.
- Let simmer for 15-20 minutes over low heat.
- Serve! Add cheese, sour cream, Greek yogurt, jalapenos or any other toppings you desire.
Did you try this pumpkin chili? What did you think? We would love to hear from you! Please leave us a comment below.
This Award Winning Hot Wing Chili features all the flavors of your favorite finger food in spicy chili. It’s a healthy, hearty way to enjoy buffalo wings in a new way!
This Creamy White Chicken Chili recipe only takes about 30 minutes to make, and it’s full of the most delicious, creamy, comforting flavors.
My son, Ben, has been on a quest to find the best Chili Verde recipe. Ever since Ben was in high school, it was a tradition for my boys to go to Los Amigos in Payson, for male bonding and to feast on their delicious Chili Verde.
The boys have raved about this for years!!! Now that we are cooking all the time for the blog, it was time for us to come up with the perfect Chili Verde!! I think we have succeeded!