Easy Chicken and Dumplings
Easy Chicken and Dumplings is MY ultimate comfort food. Period. The mouthwatering dumplings are combined with delicious chicken soup makes this the best dinner ever!
Okay, you usually think about chicken and dumplings for the winter months but my daughter asked me to make them the other day, and I thought to myself, don’t we need comfort food in the Summer? This Easy Chicken and Dumplings recipe comes together in less than 30 minutes and is so delicious!
Can I use chicken thighs or other dark meat?
Absolutely! Use whatever cut of chicken you and your family enjoy! I prefer the dark meat because it’s not as dry. You could even purchase a store-bought rotisserie chicken to make this a little faster to prepare.
What can I serve with Easy Chicken and Dumplings?
This is a complete dinner on it’s own but I do love a good homemade roll. Our homemade rolls only take a hour to make. I also love a fresh salad on the side.
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup frozen or fresh peas
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 12 oz. (1 can) evaporated milk
- 32 oz. (1 quart) chicken stock
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken- I buy the pre shredded chicken from Costco
- 2 teaspoons black pepper (or to taste)
- salt, to taste
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon, baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large heavy bottomed pot (like a Dutch oven), melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, carrots and celery. Cook for 5 minutes, until vegetables are soft. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add the peas.
- Add flour and stir to combine. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add evaporated milk and chicken stock and quickly stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil and add chicken, black pepper and salt. Let soup simmer, uncovered, while you make dumplings.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cornstarch, pepper, and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour the milk and butter into the center of it.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir together until dough ball forms. If your dough seems too dry, you can add an extra milk a tablespoon at a time until the mixture feels like a dough and not dry.
- Make golf ball size dumplings and drop directly into the simmering soup. Place them around the pot, not all in the same place.
- Once all dumplings have been added, gently press them down so the soup runs over just the tops of them.
- Place the lid on your pot and lower the heat a little to a low simmer (you don’t want the bottom of the soup to burn but also want the soup to still be simmering to cook the dumplings).
- Cook for 15 minutes, gently stir the soup/dumplings and then cut one dumpling in half to make sure they are cooked through.
- If the dumplings are cooked through, serve hot! If not, cook an additional 2-3 minutes and check again.
Got Chicken? I’ve got recipes!
Tin Foil Italian Chicken Dinner– Healthy chicken and veggies loaded with Italian spices and baked in a foil packet. This simple recipe transforms chicken into a tasty effortless dinner in minutes
Mississippi Chicken– take 5 simple ingredients throw them in a casserole dish and dinner is served in less than 30 minutes. Results = The juiciest, most tender chicken, perfect for a home cooked chicken dinner or even the most delicious sandwiches your whole family will love.
Creamy Tuscan Chicken and Potatoes Casserole– is an extremely satisfying dish. Crispy chicken and potatoes with spinach, baby tomatoes, and crispy bacon, all smothered in a creamy Parmesan sauce. Doesn’t that sound amazing?
Did you try this Easy Chicken and Dumplings recipe? Did you love it? We would love to hear from you! Please leave us a comment below!