This No-Knead Artisan bread recipe is phenomenal. The best, EASY yeast bread you will ever come across, beginners will love how simple it is while bread connoisseurs will appreciate the Artisan bread qualities.
3 minutes active effort, no-knead, no stand mixer, highly flexible and forgiving, this homemade bread can be on your table in less than 3 hours OR prepare the dough up to 3 days in advance for a handy “grab and bake” option. This is life-changing!
The ingredients four base ingredients for these no-knead bread recipes are the same — water, yeast, flour, salt — but be sure to note in the recipe below that the amounts differ slightly for each. The faster version will also include a hint of sugar.
jazz it up options:
Want to customize your no-knead bread recipe? Feel free to…
- Add in garlic: Mince 1-2 cloves of fresh garlic and stir them into the dough during Step 1.
- Add in herbs: Chopped fresh herbs or dried herbs would be great additions to this bread too. Just stir them into the dough during Step 1.
- Add freshly-cracked black pepper: Sounds simple, but tastes so good. Just stir into the dough during Step 1.
- Add in Parmesan: Stir 1/4 to 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese into the dough during Step 1.
- Top with flaky sea salt: We also love to sprinkle a few pinches of flaky sea salt on top of the bread just before baking.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 pkg instant or rapid-rise yeast
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups very warm tap water, NOT boiling or super hot
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
Combine flour, sugar, yeast, and salt in a large bowl. Add water and oil, mixing to incorporate all of the ingredients together. The dough will be wet, and sticky.
Lightly spray the top with cooking oil spray. Cover with plastic wrap and place a dry tea towel over the top.
Leave in a warm, draft-free place for 2-3 hours, until doubled in size. The dough will have a lot of little holes or bubbles and be wobbly like jelly.
Place a large dutch oven or heavy-based pot in the oven with a lid. Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C) 30 minutes before baking.
Lightly flour work surface and plastic spatula with up to 1 tablespoon flour. Scrape the dough out of the bowl onto the work surface with a spatula. Sprinkle the top of the dough with a large pinch of flour and fold it over on itself with the spatula (about 5-6 folds). Roughly form a round shape.
Measure out a large piece of parchment paper, large enough to transfer the dough into the pot. Place paper next to the dough and roll dough onto the paper, smooth side up. Carefully move it to the center of the paper.
Loosely cover with plastic wrap and let rest while the oven is preheating.
Use oven mitts to carefully remove the hot dutch oven from the oven. Grab the parchment paper from each end to pick up the dough and transfer it into the pot.
Cover with lid and bake for 30 minutes, then remove the lid and bake for an additional 7-12 minutes, until loaf is golden brown.
Transfer to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes before slicing.