Browned Butter Banana Cake
Grey loves bananas like he loves them!! What would be more perfect than a Browned Butter Banana Cake?! We also did a honey swiss meringue buttercream, it was to die for.
I’m sorry, I didn’t get a great picture of the inside of the cake, we were partying. Our little man is all about the tractors these days. What we did is cut a piece of wood and then glued 2-inch dowels underneath to have it sit up like a real tractor.
Then the tires are Rice Krispie treats covered in fondant. The body of the tractor is all cake, covered in fondant. The bucket is gum paste that I dyed and then shaped and then let sit for 2 nights.
Then the dirt under the tractor which my nephews thought was real dirt was various treats, Oreo, Nilla wafers, marshmallows, Sixlets, whoppers, peanut butter balls, and whatever else Matt came up with because at that point I was too tired. The cake was so good I think you’ll love it!
- 1 cup salted butter, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups banana puree (about 4 bananas)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Crisco and flour 9×13 inch pan, line the bottom with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan cook the butter over low heat until the butter is caramel colored and smells toasty.
- Strain the butter into the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the paddle attachment, beat together the butter, sugar, honey, and vanilla until it has cooled off slightly. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. Add the banana puree and mix until incorporated.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Then alternate adding the flour mixture and buttermilk.
- Pour the batter in the pan, then bake for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Using a knife loosen the cake away from the sides and flip out and allow to cool completely.
- Frost with any buttercream your little heart desires. Be looking for my Honey Swiss Meringue buttercream in a couple of weeks!