I have been revisiting some of the recipes that we introduced at the beginning of the blog. Some of them of such delicious gems that I wanted to reintroduce them to you! Pretty soon the corn stands will be popping up around our town and Corn and Sausage Soup came to mind! Warning: You will not want to share this with your family! Yes, it’s that good!
Easy Corn and Sausage Soup – fresh, comforting, easy, and perfect for a busy day! This easy soup only takes a few ingredients and can be on the table in 40 minutes. You usually think about soup in the ‘Winter but it’s perfect for Summer too!
- 2 Anaheim Chiles
- 1 lb Sausage (if you would like it spicy, use the Italian sausage)
- 4 cups fresh corn kernels (about 3 ears) or frozen corn
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 to 4 clove garlic, minced
- 1 purple onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat broiler. Oil a baking sheet. Set chiles on the baking sheet and broil, turning as needed, until blackened all over, about 15 minutes. Let cool, then remove stem and seeds and chop; set aside.
- Cook sausage in a large stockpot over medium heat cook sausage, onion and garlic, breaking sausage into smaller pieces with a spatula, until meat is brown. Strain meat in a strainer and discard fat. Pour sausage back into the pan.
- Stir in corn, carrots into the sausage. Sprinkle the flour over the veggies and stir. Add the broth and then bring it to a boil and cook. Stirring occasionally, until corn is just tender, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to a simmer, add cream and chiles,and cook 2 minutes more to blend flavors.
- Squeeze in the lime and stir(if you think you will have leftovers, you might want to let each person put their own lime in their soup because the lime will curdle the cream overnight).
- When you serve the soup, garnish each bowl with a slice of red onion and basil.