Honey Glazed Crispy Chicken, a delicious dinner for those who love a sweet and spicy chicken.
This was a littler more work than I usually like to do. Worth it though. It was a little spicy and the honey really balanced out the flavor. I love KFC and this was an upgraded version of their crispy chicken!
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons pepper
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons cayenne powder
- 3 cups flour
- 6 bone-in, skin- on drumsticks
- 3 cups buttermilk
- vegetable oil for frying
- honey, for serving
- In a medium bowl, add the salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, cumin, oregano, and cayenne and mix until combined. In a another medium bowl, combine half of the spice mix with the flour, mixing until the spices are evenly distributed.
- Add the chicken to a large bowl and sprinkle with the remaining spice blend. Mix until all the chicken pieces are evenly coated.
- Pour the buttermilk over the chicken and stir until the residual spices from the chicken have blended in with the buttermilk to create a light orange color. Marinate the chicken in the fridge overnight.
- We cheated and baked the chicken in the oven at 375 for 20 minutes until cooked through, because we kept burning the outside. Wipe off the excess juice and set the buttermilk mixture aside.
- Heat the oil to about 325°F (160°C) in a large cast-iron skillet.
- Dredge each piece of baked chicken in the flour, shaking off any excess. Dip them back into the buttermilk mixture, then back into the flour. Make sure to shake off excess flour or it’ll burn while frying.
- Fry 3-4 chicken pieces at a time, occasionally turning them over. Cook for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown, crispy.
- Drizzle the chicken with honey, then serve. Enjoy!