The best side ever is Creamy Asparagus Casserole. Nothing beats the amazing flavor of asparagus topped with a creamy parmesan sauce!
This is a great side made for those who care if their food is worth the calories. This definitely is worth Every. Single. Calorie. And then some.
Matt and I made this three times and it goes with a variety of foods. Give this recipe a try.
- 2 lbs asparagus trimmed
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 2 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 cups shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Butter a 9×13 casserole dish and arrange trimmed asparagus in the dish, pack it down for an even surface.
- Place a saucepan over medium heat, put in 3 tablespoons butter, and then add 2 1/2 tablespoons flour and whisk constantly for 3 minutes or until the butter starts to turn golden. Whisk in the 2 cups of half and half, 2 teaspoons garlic salt, and 1 teaspoon onion powder. Whisk until the sauce starts to thicken then remove from the heat. Sprinkle 3/4 cup parmesan cheese until it’s melted.
- Pour the sauce evenly over the asparagus, leaving about 1 inch of green on both sides of the casserole dish. Bake uncovered for 15 to 18 minutes.
- While the casserole is baking for the first 10 minutes. Make the topping. Melt 1 tablespoon butter, mix in 1/2 cup Panko, stirring until it’s evenly coated with butter. Then stir in 3/4 cup of parmesan cheese. After the casserole has baked for 10 minutes, sprinkle the topping over the casserole evenly.
- Return the asparagus to the oven for 8 minutes. Then set the oven to broil and broil for 2 to 3 minutes or until the bread crumbs are golden brown. Enjoy!