We love buttermilk cinnamon rolls at our house and so here we go again! Last
time we made them we sold them at our daughter’s yard sale for her softball
team and they were gone in less than an hour!
This is something special! It just makes you think of home and your family when you have a pan of these gems! We have tried different recipes but we keep coming back to this one. The buttermilk makes all the difference!
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- ½ buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 package yeast
- 4 ½ cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 ½ tablespoons cinnamon
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup raisins, optional
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 package of cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick of butter, softened
- 2 cups powder sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- A pinch of salt
- Combine the warm milk and yeast in a small bowl. Set aside until the yeast is activated. Then combine the milk-yeast mixture to the eggs, butter, salt, sugar and flour in a bread mixer.
- Once the ingredients are mixed together, place the dough into a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. The dough will need to double in size before you move to the next step, (it will take about an hour).
- Grease the counter top and roll the dough until it’s about a ½ inch thick.
- Cover the dough with the melted butter and sprinkle the sugar and cinnamon mixture evenly over the butter. Sprinkle the raisins and walnuts evenly.
- Slowly roll the dough into a tube. My husband likes to mark the top of the dough to make sure the rolls will be even. Then take a piece of dental floss and start from the bottom of the tube and wrap it around the tube and cross the floss at the top and squeeze, it will slice the dough into the perfect cinnamon roll.
- Place the rolls into a greased cake pan and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise until it doubles
- in size, (It will take about 30 minutes). Cook on 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.
- While the cinnamon rolls are cooking, combine all the icing ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Quickly spread the icing on the cinnamon rolls, the icing will melt into the seams and make them even more delicious!