Homemade California Rolls! Every birthday dinner the birthday boy or girl gets to pick the dinner of their choice! Well Matt and my dad get to share their birthday dinner and they both love sushi, so we made Homemade California Rolls!
We all love our birthday dinners because you can basically talk Kimmer into just about anything. Ben always asks for the most ridiculous things ever, just ask his wife! It’s not hard to pick something for Matt he loves the most simple things spaghetti, steak, and sushi!
This turned out to be super good and a huge hit! Also, Andie loved her life that day, she is a sushi addict! I don’t know if California Rolls are her favorite but these rolls went fast! Give these a try!
- 3 cups of sushi rice
- 3 1/2 cups of water
- 1/2 cup Rice Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons White Sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 Cucumber (cut into matchsticks)
- 1 Avocado (cut into matchsticks)
- 1 can of real crab
- 1 pack nori sheets
- pickled ginger
- soy sauce
- First, prepare the seasoning. Heat the rice vinegar with the sugar and salt in a small saucepot, until dissolved.
- Cook rice in a rice cooker. Once ready, transfer the rice to the wooden or plastic container. Do not cover.
- While the rice is still hot, pour seasoning evenly over the rice and mix with a wooden spoon for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Before using, let the rice cool down to room temperature.
- Lay a Nori sheet on a bamboo sushi mat and press rice down evenly over the nori sheet leaving a little space to stick it together.
- Place some cucumbers, avocado, and crab in the middle and roll the sushi roll.
- Then using a sharp knife cut into individual rolls.
- Enjoy with soy sauce, pickled ginger, and wasabi.