Chocolate Mousse Cheesecake Cake
Chocolate Mousse Cheesecake Cake will make all of your dreams come true…Okay, it will make your dessert dreams come true!
You’ll love it! It’s a little redundant, but it’s cheesecake/ mousse, chocolate cake, and topped with chocolate chips and chocolate ganache! What more could you ask for!?
I made this for my good friend Beth for her birthday. Beth was my neighbor for almost 8 years and we literally lived one wall away from each other, so she graciously accepted all the leftover desserts I made and didn’t want in my house anymore.
She says this is the absolute best cake I’ve ever made, so I had to share it with my Lou Lou Girls readers! I got a little carried away with the chocolate ganache, but it was still blog-worthy!
It all started last Saturday, I called Beth to tell her I was going to be making her something. I knew she loved my cakes, so I thought she’d ask for a fondant cake.
Of everyone I know, she likes the fondant I make the most! So, I was surprised when she said chocolate cake or cheesecake.
I was all over making a cheesecake, because it’s way easier than a fondant cake, in my opinion. The wheels started turning and this beauty became a reality.
I knew I wanted it to have an Oreo crust, because I just freaking love Oreos, and I expect everyone else to love them too. I also wanted a layer of chocolate cake, so I could make sure Beth got everything she wanted.
The cheesecake layer was a little tricky. I decided to go with a chocolate mousse cheesecake cake…I just made that up. It’s basically a no-bake cheesecake in the middle, but it’s so light I also think it’s like a mousse.
So I just decided to give it ALL the names… Whatever you prefer to call it, it remains delicious! My family and I will be making this again as soon as I’m off of this horridly strict diet!
So without further adieu, here is the recipe…
- 24 Oreos Crushed
- 1/2 cup of melted butter
- 1 box of Devils Food Cake (made according to package directions)
- For the Cheesecake/ Mousse
- 16 ounces of cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup of butter (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of dark chocolate chips (melted)
- 3 cups of heavy whipping cream (whipped to stiff peaks)
- 1 cup of dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream
- Topping (optional)
- 1/4 cup of dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven and prepare chocolate cake according to package directions, in 2 8" round pans. Make sure you butter and flour your pan, so the cake will come out easily. You'll only need 1 cake for this recipe, so wrap and freeze the other cake for another dessert.
- While cake is baking, prepare Oreo crust by crushing Oreo's into a fine powder. Then stir in melted butter. Press into the bottom of a greased spring form pan.
- Prepare the mousse/ cheesecake. Whip heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form, set aside. Then whip together cream cheese, butter, and sugar.
- Melt chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl, stirring every 30 seconds. While mixer is on low, slowly pour melted chocolate chips into cream cheese mixture, until combined. Once combined, fold in whipped cream.
- Pour cheesecake mixture (reserving 2 cups) on top of Oreo crust and refrigerate for 30 minutes, or until chocolate cake has cooled completely.
- Top cheesecake mixture with cooled chocolate cake and put it back in the fridge for an hour. Or until entire cake is cool and will easily slip out of spring form pan.
- Make chocolate ganche by melting chocolate chips, and remaining heavy whipping cream in the microwave in 30 second intervals. Stirring frequently.
- Slowly pour the Ganache on the top of the cake. Let it drip down the sides if you prefer. Let it harden, either in the fridge or on the counter.
- Use reserved cheesecake mousse to pipe rosettes on top of your cheesecake and sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips.
- This recipe calls for about 2 1/4 cups of chocolate chips total. You'll need the whole bag!
- You can use a zip lock bag with the corner cut off to pipe the chocolate mouse on top, if you don't have a piping bag!
2 thoughts on “Chocolate Mousse Cheesecake Cake”
What a wonderful cake, this is a fantastic recipe, I will be pinning this one! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Full Plate Thursday and come back soon!
So this looks really good! My husband loves cheesecake so I may have to try to replicate this for a special occasion. Visiting from Favorite Things party.