I’m a fan of caramel, popcorn, and apples so I thought, “Why not make all of my favorite things combine! OOH Caramel Popcorn Apples! They’re chewy, salty, sour, sweet and crunchy. Make these today, your taste buds will thank you!
We have a tried and true recipe for caramel. It’s the only one I EVER use. You can use it to make these delicious caramels dipped in chocolate and sea salt for your neighbors, or you can use it to make regular caramel popcorn. OR you can get super crazy and make Caramel Apple Popcorn with a drizzle of chocolate!
Once you try this caramel recipe, you’ll never use anything else either. It’s my favorite for three reasons, 1- my grandma gave it to me, and anything grandma makes is guaranteed to be delicious, and 2- it’s easy, SO easy to do! 3- You can use it for so many different recipes!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk (use the empty sweetened condensed milk can to measure the rest)
- 1 can sugar
- 1 can brown sugar
- 1 can Karo syrup
- 6 cups popped popcorn
- 12 Granny Smith Apples
- 12 sucker sticks
- 1 cup chocolate wafers (the kind that melt easily)
- Clean apples and insert sucker sticks into each one.
- Get a cookie sheet ready with a silicone non-stick mat or lightly grease the pan with cooking spray.
- Pop popcorn according to package directions. Pour it into a large bowl, set aside.
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan.
- Add sweetened condensed milk to butter, then use the empty can to measure the remaining ingredients.
- Add sugar, brown sugar, and karo syrup.
- Stirring constantly, bring caramel to a boil and use a candy thermometer to bring it to soft ball stage. (about 7 minutes after it starts boiling!)
- If you don't have a candy thermometer, use a cup full of cold water to test your caramel. Simply add a spoonful of caramel to the cold water. Test the caramel by trying to roll it into a ball in between your fingers after it's cooled in the water. If it's too soft keep cooking!
- Dip all the apples into caramel and place on non-stick surface and allow them to cool a little. Caramel is deadly hot! Be careful!
- Then dip the apples into the popcorn and gently press it on.
- Melt chocolate chips in the microwave and use a spoon to drizzle it over the tops of the apples!