I’ve clearly been on a breakfast kick lately, check out these cheesy grits!
Teaching high school is super fun and interesting. I get to meet all different types of people and children. This year I had a student from Mississippi and I asked her what food she missed the most from home. She told me that all the food is delicious in the south but the thing she missed most was grits and hush puppies. I thought that we should give them a try. I am still yet to try hush puppies but grits is one thing that Matt and I have always wanted to try since we love the show Hart of Dixie. We loved that goofy, cute show until it got canceled! Anyways, we have tried several different recipes and this one was our favorite so far. You should give this a try!
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup instant grits
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup cheddar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Scald the milk, butter, salt and garlic powder in a saucepan over medium heat until little bubbles appear around the outside.
- Slowly whisk in the grits and continue to stir until mixture barely simmers.
- Turn to low and allow to cook for 5 minutes, until very thick.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheese until melted and smooth.