Well, I sure do hope that everyone enjoyed a beautiful Easter celebration with friends and family! We had a wonderful (albeit BUSY) weekend! One of the things I struggle with on Easter is finding the sweet spot between getting the cooking done and the family fed and actually CELEBRATING the reason for the holiday!
Some things get so hectic, it’s easy to lose sight of the incredible meaning of these special days. And I don’t want to lose sight of anything! I plan carefully and do my best, and one thing that always helps is a good breakfast casserole! Over the Easter weekend, I sent this very dish with my husband to the “choir room” at our church.
Our choir (my hubby included) had to sing for three services that morning, and I knew they would need some kind of nourishment. Thankfully, they enjoyed, and I know you will, too! So let’s get started…
Wholesome Breakfast Casserole
2 cans (12.4 ounces each) refrigerated cinnamon rolls
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons vanilla
Chopped pecans (to your liking)
1 apple, chopped
1 pound sausage (flavored to your liking), browned and crumbled
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 13X9-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Separate both cans of dough into 16 rolls; cut each roll into 8 pieces; place pieces in dish.
3. Brown sausage, drain and crumble evenly over the pieces of rolls. Chop apple, sprinkle evenly over the sausage.
3. In a separate bowl, beat eggs well. Add cream, cinnamon and vanilla and beat until well-blended. Pour evenly over the contents of your dish. Sprinkle pecans over the top.
4. Bake for 20 minutes (or until brown and bubbly). Cool for 15 minutes before dishing out.
I call this a “Wholesome” Breakfast Casserole, because you have your meat and your eggs, but you also have your sweet! It’s got it all! And I love that it’s THICK. This is not a “flat” breakfast casserole, by no means!
And also, as with most things I make, feel free to substitute ingredients to your liking! Use your favorite brand of cinnamon rolls! Use farm-fresh eggs! Add as many or as few pecans as you would like! Use whatever kind of apple you have at your home, and use whatever flavor of sausage you’d like!