My husband’s family is BIG on getting together! Everyone gathers often at the family home, in the “party room”, as they call it (which is an old workshop transformed into a huge eating room with an attached screen porch and a full kitchen!
There were about 50 of us out there for Christmas Eve, and one of the favorite dishes of all is always the Overnight Salad. I first had the Overnight Salad a few years ago when I attended the first dinner with my husband (before we were even married) and I LOVED it!
Number one, it was gluten-free, which is how I must eat, and number two, it was GOOD! Over the next couple of years, I helped prepare the Overnight Salad on several occasions, and my hubby’s aunt finally gave me the recipe.
She’s not exactly sure where it came from, but one thing’s for sure – she can make it in her sleep now, and I’m well on my way, too! So, without further ado, may I present…
1 head of lettuce diced
1 cup diced green onions
1 cup diced celery 1 package
frozen green peas
1 16-ounce jar mayonnaise
1 cup parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon garlic salt
4 large tomatoes diced
6 eggs, boiled and diced
1 pound of bacon, fried and crumbled
1. Layer the lettuce in a 13X9-inch dish. It should be about half full of lettuce, but you may not have to use the whole head.
2. Layer the green onions and celery on top of the lettuce, then layer the frozen green peas over the top. (One of the great things about this salad is that you can be as detailed or quick as you want to – depending on what your grocery store already offers chopped!
3. Cover with enough mayonnaise to seal all of the peas. Be sure not to leave any openings, or you will have water form at the bottom of your salad.
4. Layer the top of mayonnaise with parmesan cheese, and then sprinkle with sugar and garlic salt.
5. Cover and place in the refrigerator overnight. Before serving, layer tomatoes, being sure to cover the entire top.
6. Layer and diced eggs then, and the bacon last.
And there you have it! What is soon to be a favorite of your own family!
8 thoughts on “Overnight Salad”
I used to make this salad all the time when I was first married and haven't thought about it in years. I just love the way the flavors mingle and the mayo based topping is out of this world! You've inspired me to make this again and have brought back so many wonderful memories of my early married life. This is perfect to take to a pot luck, too. Pinning.
Congrats on your first post at Lou Lou girls! It's a keeper!
That looks amazing. I think anything topped with bacon or mixed with bacon or with bacon on the side or bacon flavored is awesome. I've never had it before, but that's definitely on the To-Eat list. No, I don't actually have a To-Eat list, but I'm making one soon!
Yum! I love that you can make it ahead of time. Have you ever made it with spinach or any other type of lettuce? Thanks for sharing!
I would have never thought of spread a salad with mayonnaise, but I bet the flavors meld together wonderfully. This Overnight Salad sound delicious, I will have to give this a try. Do you know if it works well with a low fat mayonnaise?
Great first post on Lou Lou Girls–congrats! 🙂
Life With Lorelai
Yum. This looks like such a good idea.
This looks so very delicious! All the ingredients I would normally put in a salad anyway. I wonder if I've been calling it wrong? I usually eat right away, too. Great first post at Lou Lou girls!
This looks and sounds so delicious. I make a similar salad for every special occasion. We call it 7 layer salad. The bacon with the mayo & sugar plus the cheese and eggs is amazing together. YUM! You are making me hungry. This is my husband's favorite salad ever. Thanks for sharing!
Blessings and Happy New Year!
I have never heard of the Overnight Salad, it looks great and I must give it a try, without the bacon, since I don't eat meat. Looks like a great time saver.