These zesty roasted sweet potato tacos are made with black beans, fresh avocado, and your choice of toppings. They’re easy to make, naturally vegan and gluten-free, and so delicious!
I’ve been on a search for recipes that I can feed my husband and me as well as my toothless one-year-old son Cooper.
Because Cooper loves sweet potatoes, and because all of the ingredients inside this “taco” are soft, I decided to give it a try even though it seemed a little bit of a random mix of things. Oh my goodness I was in for a shock. It was SOOO good!!
It was pretty simple to make and was bursting with flavor! And did I mention full of healthy vegetables?? Personally I think anything with honey, cilantro, and lime is going to be good but add in the sweet potatoes (weird I know) and it is magic in your mouth!
1 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled if desired and diced into 1/2-inch cubes
4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp ground coriander
1/8 – 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 small yellow onion, diced (1 cup)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (14.5) oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup frozen yellow corn, thawed and drained
3 Tbsp honey
3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
Corn or flour tortillas
Romaine lettuce or purple cabbage, cotija or feta cheese (Monterrey or manchego would also be good), diced avocados, fresh salsa or pico de gallo and hot sauce (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil then place sweet potatoes on foil.
2. Drizzle with 3 Tbsp olive oil and toss to evenly coat.
3. Sprinkle evenly with cumin, paprika, coriander, cayenne pepper and season lightly with salt and pepper to taste then toss to evenly coat.
4. Bake in preheated oven 15 – 20 minutes until tender, removing from oven and tossing once halfway through baking.
5. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat.
6. Once hot add onion and saute until caramelized (golden brown on edges and tender), about 5 – 6 minutes, adding in garlic during the last 30 seconds of sauteing.
7. Reduce heat to medium-low, add in drained black beans, corn, honey, and lime juice.
8. Heat until warmed through. Toss in roasted sweet potatoes and cilantro.
10. Serve over warm tortillas with desired toppings.
Want more? Try out these other delicious Taco recipes!!