When I get the opportunity to teach meet with the cute girls in my ward, so we can work on personal progress, I have to try a new dessert recipe.They are my sweet little testers! The other great thing is that I don’t have leftovers at home that tempt me all week. I can always tell if the treat is a success or not, by the look on their faces.
They all had big smile on their faces and several asked if they could take one home! Simple recipe and they will make a big impression at any setting.
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk chocolate chips, divided
1 package Oreo cookies
5 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 teaspoons shortening
1 cup almonds, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8×8 pan with tin foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Cream the butter and both of the sugars.
- Add egg, vanilla and mix completely. Add the salt and baking soda and mix well. Next, add flour slowly to the mixture and mix until combined. Gently fold in 1 cup chocolate chips and almonds. Press into the pan.
- Chill the cookie mixture for at least 15 minutes. Bake for 20 to 28 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool completely.
- In your blender, crush your Oreos. Pour Oreos into a bowl and add the cream cheese. Mix with mixer until it starts to form into a ball.
- Pour Oreo mixture on top of the cookie base and Press with your hands to flatten it into a layer.
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat 1 cup of chocolate chips and the shortening. Cook in increments of 30 seconds, stirring each time, until the chocolate is melted. Pour on top of the Oreo layer and spread it evenly.
- Chill for a couple of hours before serving. It will help when cutting the bars, if you let them sit out of the fridge for a few minutes.