I love this time of year! Fresh veggies from the garden and old favorites in the kitchen. One of my all time favorites is Cream new red potatoes with fresh peas. You can imagine how excited I was when my mother in law called my husband and told him that the peas were ready to pick. This is so simple to make but the flavor is out of this world, and my girls love it!
2 pounds of small red potatoes, quartered
3 cups fresh or frozen peas
1/4 cup onion, chopped
2 Tablespoons butter
3 Tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon flour
3 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons pepper
2 cups milk
1 cup half and half cream
- Place the potatoes in a large cooking pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8 to 12 minutes or until tender. Drain water.
- Meanwhile, place peas in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes or until tender. Drain water.
- In a large skillet, sauté onion in butter until tender. Mix flour with 1/4 cup of the milk in a cup, until smooth and no lumps.
- Add milk, half and half, salt and pepper to the onions. Gradually add the flour mixture, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in potatoes and peas, heat completely through.