Pretzel bites are so fun!! Great for family gatherings or great for a Super bowl party. This recipe makes so many bites and I thought we would have pretzels for days but that was not the case! As family gathered together for Sunday dinner and by the time they left, the pretzels were all gone.
You can serve savory bites or sweet pretzels, you decide. The hardest thing about this recipe is the rolling out the dough to make the bites, it’s that easy.
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 package active yeast
6 Tablespoons butter, melted
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
4 1/2 to 5 cups bread flour
3 quarts water
3/4 cup baking soda
2 eggs beaten with 2 Tablespoons cold water
For the cheese sauce:
1/2 Tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon flour
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Combine the water, sugar, yeast, and butter in the bowl and mix until combined. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add the salt and flour and mix until combined. Increase the speed and continue kneading until the dough is smooth and begins to pull away from the side of the bowl, about 3 to 4 minutes. If the dough appears too wet, add additional flour. Remove the dough from the bowl, and place on the countertop and knead into a ball with your hands.
- Oil a bowl with cooking oil, and add the dough and turn to coat with the oil. Cover with a towel and place in a warm spot until the dough doubles in size, it will take about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Bring the water to a boil in a small roasting pan over a high heat and add the baking soda.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and place on the counter. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces, about 4 1/2 ounces each. Roll each piece into a long rope, about 22 inches long. Cut the dough into 1 inch pieces to make the pretzel bites.
- Boil the bites in the baking soda solution in batches. 15 bites seem to be the perfect amount. boil for 30 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon. Place the pretzel bites on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with non stick spray. Make sure the pretzels don’t touch.
- Brush the tops with the egg wash and season with the salt. Place into the oven and bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let rest for a few minutes before serving.
To Make the Cheese Sauce:
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the milk and cook until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese until smooth and the cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.