Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites
Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites just like you find in the pretzel stores in the mall but even better! It is so easy to make pretzel bites at home.
Pretzel bites are such fun!! Great for family gatherings or great for a Super bowl party. This recipe makes so many bites and I thought we would have pretzels for days but that was not the case!
As the family gathered together for Sunday dinner and by the time they left, the pretzels were all gone.
You can serve savory bites or sweet pretzels, you decide. The hardest thing about this recipe is rolling out the dough to make the bites, it’s that easy.
Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 package active yeast
6 Tablespoons butter, melted
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
4 1/2 to 5 cups bread flour
3 quarts water
3/4 cup baking soda
2 eggs beaten with 2 Tablespoons cold water
For the cheese sauce:
1/2 Tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon flour
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites
- Combine the water, sugar, yeast, and butter in the bowl and mix until combined. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add the salt and flour and mix until combined. Increase the speed and continue kneading until the dough is smooth and begins to pull away from the side of the bowl, about 3 to 4 minutes. If the dough appears too wet, add additional flour. Remove the dough from the bowl, and place it on the countertop, and knead into a ball with your hands.
- Oil a bowl with cooking oil, and add the dough and turn to coat with the oil. Cover with a towel and place in a warm spot until the dough doubles in size, it will take about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Bring the water to a boil in a small roasting pan over high heat and add the baking soda.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and place it on the counter. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces, about 4 1/2 ounces each. Roll each piece into a long rope, about 22 inches long. Cut the dough into 1-inch pieces to make the pretzel bites.
- Boil the bites in the baking soda solution in batches. 15 bites seem to be the perfect amount. boil for 30 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon. Place the pretzel bites on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with non-stick spray. Make sure the pretzels don’t touch.
- Brush the tops with the egg wash and season with the salt. Place into the oven and bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let rest for a few minutes before serving.
To Make the Cheese Sauce:
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the milk and cook until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese until smooth and the cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
46 thoughts on “Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites”
These look delicious! Soft pretzels are definitely one of my weaknesses! Thanks so much for stopping by our "Hit Me With Your Best Shot Link Party" I hope to see you again!
We appreciate you checking out our blog! Thank you!
Thanks for sharing at the party! My daughter and I made pretzels last year they were fun, but this seems quicker since you don't have to twist them. And adding the cheese yum! I'm giving your recipe a shout out. Can't wait to try this with her. Hope to see you again this week! Theresa @DearCreatives
We sure appreciate the shout out! This recipe is so easy but so yummy!
Oh delish! I can't wait for the weekend, these will be great for a party or a snack or anytime! 🙂
Getting ready to try this out, hope they taste as good add they look in this picture
I love this post. They look so yummy. Perfect for an upcoming Super Bowl party. FEATURING you on Best of the Weekend party. Spread the word!! Thanks, Nichi – The Mandatory Mooch http://www.mandatorymooch.com
These look so good, what a great party food 🙂
OOOHH! Lots of fun! I want to make dozens and eat them all. Thank you for sharing this on Snickerdoodle Sunday because it never, ever, would have occured to me that I could make my own! Fun!
They are so easy to make and you will want to eat them all because they are addicting!
Just wanted you to know that your recipe is being featured this week on Foodie Friday. Stop by and get your button. I will be pinning and tweeting it this week.
Thanks so much for sharing at Wednesday's Adorned From Above Link Party.
Debi and Charly
We love soft pretzels in my family. I'll be making up a batch of these for the SuperBowl this weekend. Thanks for sharing at Inspire Us Thursday on Organized 31.
My family LOVES soft pretzels! I don't make them often enough. Thank you so much for sharing at Simple Supper Tuesday.
Mmmm, these look delish, especially with the cheese sauce. One of our favorite snacks! Thanks so much for sharing on Inspire Me Wednesday. Featuring you in next week's issue.
these would be so delicious at a party, thanks for sharing on Friday frenzy.
I have thought about making pretzels before, but just never got around to it. This looks like a great recipe try.. It is also today's Dare to Share Feature of the Day. 🙂 Thanks so much for linking up, and I hope to see you link up some more of your recipes.
I love this recipe! Pinning! Thanks for linking up at The Four Seasons Blog Hop! Sandra from Scrumptilicious 3 You!
This looks so delicious! I cannot wait to try them. Stopping by from today's weekend blog hop!
Thank you! You will love it!
I'm not much of a baker but these looks so good I'm gonna give it a try! Thanks for the recipe!
I love soft pretzels and these look scrumptious! Stopping by from See Ya In The Gumbo party. Would love to have you bring them to the Four Seasons party on Wednesday night!
Easy Life Meal & Party Planning
You had me at pretzel bites. The addition of cheese sauce is something else! Yum 🙂
Yes, fun…but dangerous too. I know I'd over do it. Tiny food is my downfall (well, one of them)!
Thank you for sharing
They are dangerous because they are so good, but worth it!
Yum! I am so making these when I get home to my hubby! He'll love them! Thanks for sharing them at the link party! xx
I am SO going to try these! Yummy! Pinned!
Making this post my pick of the Week for Inspired Monday @ I should be mopping the floor. After having and loving these at a party from the Pretzel Store ( who knew there was at Pretzel Store? ) I am looking forward to trying to make some (There is no Pretzel Store near me). Have a great week!
Thank you! I'm with you, I didn't know there was a pretzel store. You will love them.
Oh, I love soft pretzels and these look delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe for SYC.
Pretzels are always welcome in my house and your soft pretzels look absolutely awesome!!
Hugs from Freedom Fridays With All My Bloggy Friends!!
Ps Pinned and shared!!
These look SO good! Thank you for sharing the recipe. And thanks for joining the Grace at Home party. I'm featuring you this week!
Kimberly, these look really good! I have never actually made soft pretzels before, but have always been going to try. I think my kids would love your version of pretzel bites (with your cheese dip). pinned to try soon! found at imparting grace linky (congratulations on your feature). Have a wonderful week:)
Thank you! We are thrilled that you stopped by. We would love it if you would stop by our party and show off. http://loulougirls.blogspot.com
My daughter and I were just at the mall the other day, eating pretzel bites and discussing how we need to make our own so we don't constantly have to get them at the mall everytime. Then I can just hit the cookie place up.
No really, will be pinning it so we can make em! Thanks for sharing!
I'm so glad! They are so easy to make and you will love them!
I just love soft pretzels! So yummy! Can't wait to try these! Have a great day!
I love pretzel bites. I must make these. Pinned to the Creative K Kids Tasty Tuesday board. Thanks for linking up.
PS. You can ship these too!
Man. These look totally delicious!
MMM! We have to have these this fall during football!
Mmmmm… pretzel bites! One of my favorite little snacks and one that is perfect for football games and the like! Thanks for sharing and participating in last week's #thatsfreshfriday link-up! I hope to see y'all back tomorrow as we kick off another party. 🙂
These little pretzels make me very hungry!
They look inviting and DELICIOUS !!!