My favorite savory dish for the holidays is STUFFING! I will pass up the potatoes and gravy and fill my plate with stuffing heaven. It can’t be Stove Top but homemade stuffing that melts in your mouth! You will love this recipe, it screams “HOME’”!
Ingredients: Click here to print recipe:
2 loaves oven-dried bread
2 cups cooked white rice
1 sleeve crushed saltines
1 pound Italian sausage
2 cups celery, chopped
1 pound mushrooms, sliced
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
7 cups chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste
2 cans water chestnuts
3 eggs beaten
1 1/2 sticks butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Crumble oven-dried bread into a large bowl. Add rice and saltines.
- Cook sausage in a large skillet until brown. In a separate skillet, melt 2 Tablespoons of butter and then add onion, garlic, celery and sauté for a couple of minutes and then add the mushrooms. Cook for a couple more minutes.
- Pour sausage, veggies and water chestnuts over bread and rice mixture. Add the chicken stock and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Add the beaten eggs and the melted butter. Mix well.
- Pour stuffing into a greased pan and bake until cooked through and golden brown, about 45 minutes. Do not cover.