We’ve always heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I’m not really a breakfast eater, so I’ve tried to get in the habit of eating at least a granola bar each morning.
Let’s get serious, the ones in the box are either harder than the box they come in or they lack any flavor!
My girls won’t even eat a granola bar even if their life depended on it, until now!!!! We made these beauties the other day and they are full of flavor and crunchy (not like a piece of cardboard!).
6 cups oats
4 Tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup apple juice
1/4 cup molasses
3 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cup rice Krispies
1 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup almonds, chopped
1 cup milk chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a bowl, toss oats with vegetable oil, melted butter, and salt. Spread the mixture out on 2 baking sheets and toast in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, shake the pan a couple of times and make sure it doesn’t burn. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to 325 degrees.
- In a saucepan, combine the brown sugar, honey, apple juice, and molasses. Heat the mixture on low heat, stir until its combined. Stir in the vanilla.
- Toss together the oats, rice cereal, wheat germ, and almonds. Pour in the sugar mixture, stir as you pour. It will be sticky to make sure all the oats are covered.
- Press into 1 baking sheet( thoroughly greased with butter, or line pan with foil and grease foil) and bake until golden, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool. cut into pieces with a sharp knife and remove from the pan.
You can dip the cooled granola bars into the melted chocolate, so the top is plain and the bottom has chocolate.