Its a tradition at our house to make caramel apples for Halloween! I have tried using the caramels from the store and recipes from other sites but my caramel apples never turn out perfect. They still taste good but if you want to give them to someone other than a family, you want them to look pretty.
With the help of my hubby, I think we came up with a super delicious and pretty caramel apple.
8 to 10 granny smith apples (depending on the size)
2 sticks of butter
2 cups brown sugar
2 cups corn syrup
2 cans sweetened condensed milk
- Wash and completely dry the apples, make sure to take off any stickers. Insert a stick into the stem end of each apple.
- Spray non stick spray onto a cookie sheet.
- In a large pan, melt butter on a medium heat. Add brown sugar, corn syrup, and sweetened condensed milk.
- Stir constantly it will take about 10 to 15 minutes. Make sure the heat on the pan is not too hot or your caramel will burn.
- The mixture will be done when to reaches 246 degrees or a firm ball.( If you drip a little caramel into ice cold water and it forms a ball in your fingertips, its done)
- Remove from the heat and let sit for couple of minutes.
- Then dip your apples in the caramel. Hold over the pan turning the apple until the caramel has set.
- Dip in your favorite topping! We loved Oreos, sprinkles, Heath bar, and chocolate chips.
To make a apple pie caramel apple:
- Melt White chocolate chips in the microwave for 1 minute. Stir until smooth.
- Dip caramel apple into the white chocolate.
- Sprinkle a mixture of sugar and cinnamon (equal parts) onto the chocolate.