This taco casserole recipe has flavorful ground beef, salsa, corn, black beans, and plenty of cheese. It’s the perfect easy comfort food for busy families!
I’m on quest to find new recipes that my family will love and easy to make! I hit a homerun with this one. Lisa couldn’t leave the taco mixture alone, long enough for me to make the casserole! Yes, its that good!
taco casserole Ingredients:
1 cup onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon oil
1 1/2 pounds carne asada (Walmart always has packages of this ready)
1 packet taco seasoning
1 can black beans, not drained
1 cup salsa
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
salt and pepper to taste
taco casserole Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a skillet, heat oil and add the onion and garlic. sauté for about 3 minutes. Add meat and season with the salt and pepper. Cook until the meat is browned.
- Add the taco seasoning, beans and salsa, make sure to mix well.
- In the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish line with tortilla chips. Press down on the chips to break them into smaller pieces.
- Spread the meat mixture over the chips. Put another layer of chips and finish with the cheeses.
- Bake uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes.
Garnish with your favorite taco toppings!!
Recipe notes & tips:
- Use a ready-made taco seasoning if you prefer or you can use individual spices.
- You could add more veggies (such as red peppers) to this casserole. I’d add them in at the same time as the onion.
- Feel free to swap the black beans with another kind if you prefer (such as kidney or pinto). Or even add a layer of refried beans instead.
- If you want to add some heat, use a medium or spicy salsa, hot cheese blend, add some cayenne pepper, or you could even add some spicy chopped green chilies.