I have been getting everything ready for Thanksgiving next week. Can you imagine how stressful it could be if you had issues with your pipes? You have a house full of guests and BAM, the party is over! I don’t want that to happen in the middle of your party, so here are a few simple steps to protect your pipes through the holidays!
Remember that an efficient plumbing system enables you to have clean, fresh water as close as your faucet and warm water to keep your home and your family clean. Properly functioning plumbing systems have other benefits as well:
- Access to clean water is essential to good health, hygiene and well-being.
- Home plumbing systems add convenience to modern living.
- Modern plumbing can help communities in times of water shortages and drought.
- Water-saving devices increase water efficiency and your home’s energy savings.
As a homeowner, you need to protect your investment. That means maintaining your entire home, which includes the plumbing system you rely on every day to do your household chores and other tasks.
If you take care of your home’s plumbing then you can keep clean water flowing in and flushing your home’s waste out. You can prevent a large bill later by doing simple things NOW!
- Always turn your water and disposal on before adding food.
- Never put in stringy food wastes down the disposal. That would include celery, banana peels, or potato peels.
- Always allow the cold water to run for at least 15 seconds after using the disposal. This ensures food wastes are flushed down the main line.
- Run your dishwasher at night to conserve hot water and maintain good water pressure throughout the day.
- Keep shower and sink drains flowing freely by reducing your use of bath oils and installing screens over drains to prevent hair from going down the drain.
- Avoid toilet clogs by not using it as a trash can. Ideally, only human waste and toilet paper should be flushed. While tampons and some wipes are labeled as flushable, it is better not to do so.
- Wait about 10 minutes between showers to help maintain proper water pressure and hot water throughout the day. Maintaining proper water pressure helps prevent unwanted stress on your home plumbing system.
- Avoid using chemical clog removal products that can cause more harm than good. These products can corrode your pipes!
- Check for leaks. Look under the sinks for signs of moisture, such as puddles of water, watermarks, a musty smell, and mold growth.
- Test all sink and shower drain for speed or drainage. If bubbles appear while water drains, it is usually a sign of a slow drain. All drains should have a full swirl while the water goes down.
- Turn on each water faucet in your home — water shouldn’t be coming out of the handles or valves.
- Clean your lint traps on your washing machine.
If you have a septic system, how do you know that you are having trouble? If you find that your drains aren’t working well, you hear “bubbling” in your waste pipes, you smell a funny smell near your septic, or have squishy ground near your septic, try using the Roto-Rooter Septic Care, and if that doesn’t work, call a professional right away. Your septic tank should last many years, but a leak, break, or overflow can cause bad problems that need addressing. Don’t ignore these red flags!
Sometimes no matter what you do, you still have issues and need a little help! Roto-Rooter® has been a well-known name in the plumbing industry, and now has launched a whole family of drain care products nationwide! Now you can have their 80 years of experience in a bottle! I don’t know about you, but I really like the idea of this because I’m all about trying everything you can before calling in a plumber. Money doesn’t grow on trees!