Needing a fresh delicious meal?! It’s tomato season and we love the BLT’s and canning tomatoes, but here is a quick and easy healthy dinner idea. Skillet chicken and tomatoes.
Summer was fun! We had a gardening competition and with that we have been pretty successful. We have lots of pumpkins, watermelons and tomatoes! Tomatoes are so good, but we needed some variety. We came up with this recipe and it did not disappoint! Give it a try!
- 1 pound Boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium red onion sliced
- 3 garlic cloves diced
- 4 cups of fresh garden tomatoes, quartered
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 cup parsley
- Sprinkle the salt and pepper on the chicken. In a large, heavy skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat. Once hot, add the chicken breasts, top-side down, and let cook for 4 minutes, until lightly browned. Flip and cook an additional 4 minutes. Turn again and continue cooking 3 to 5 additional minutes, until chicken is cooked through and reaches an internal temp of 165 degrees F. The total cooking time will vary depending upon the thickness of your chicken. Remove to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Leave the juices in the skillet and reduce the heat to medium. Add the remaining tablespoon olive oil, swirl to coat the pan then add the red onion and let cook until slightly softened, about 3 minutes, scraping the browned bits off the bottom of the pan as it cooks.
- Add the garlic and let cook 30 seconds until fragrant, then add the tomatoes, red wine vinegar, honey and then salt and pepper to taste.
- Let tomatoes cook until they begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Return the chicken to the pan. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve warm.