I don’t what it is about Fall but it always makes me want to bake apple recipes. It’s not like I go out and harvest the apples from the orchard. Something deep inside of me just calls to me, cook something with an apple in it.
I always thought when I was a newly married that the only way to make a cake was from a mix and a scratch cake would be too hard. My opinion has completely changed over the years and I have realized that scratch is the way to go! Of course, we all have those moments when we have to rely on a cake mix but scratch can never be beaten by a mix!
It’s the small things in life that make memories that can last forever. This cake can become one of those recipes that are requested through the years. A small mention of it will bring a smile to their faces. It is so full of flavor that you will slap your leg and call it Susie!
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup almond pieces
- 2 1/2 cups apples, peeled and diced
- 1 fresh lemon juice
- For the glaze
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla
- For the cake
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Prepare a 9 x 13 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- With a hand mixer or in the bowl of your stand mixer, cream together sugars, eggs, butter, and oil until well blended.
- Add dry ingredients and mix well.
- Fold in apples and nuts.
- Pour the batter into baking pan. (It will be thick with the apples and nuts very visible.)
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- For the glaze
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, stir or whisk together all ingredients.
- Allow glaze to thicken slightly - stirring frequently - and pour it over the warm cake.
- Use a spatula to quickly and gently, spread the glaze over the surface of the cake.
- Allow cake to cool, then slice and serve.
Thanks for Stopping By!