Through the Holidays, we eat a lot of ham! It seems like you have it for family dinner, church parties and just because it tastes so good! After awhile you find yourself looking for new ways to use the leftovers and that’s why we make ham & cheese chowder!
This time of year, soup is one of our go to meals. My husband makes the best soups and they are a perfect comfort food. Not to mention, great way to use your leftover ham!
- 10 strips bacon, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic,minced
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small package frozen corn
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 3 cups cubed potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups ham, cubed
- In a heavy stew pot, cook the bacon over a medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon bits from the pan and place on plate covered with paper towels to soak up the grease.
- In the drippings, saute onion until tender it will take about 5 minutes. In the last minute, add the garlic and celery. Stir in the flour until blended.
- Gradually add the milk and chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir constantly for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the potatoes, corn, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered, for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the cheese, ham, and bacon; continue to cook until the cheese is melted and well combined.