Chunky Potato Soup Recipe!
I adore “soup weather”. Don’t you?! Especially on a cold day when I’ve been outside for a while, to come inside for a meal and have a lovely bowl of soup is just delightful!
My husband thinks so, too, and as a result, this soup (originally from my momma’s recipe box) is one of the first things I ever cooked for him! Like many of the dishes my kitchen produces, this one is full of variables, which I’ll share as we go along. So let’s get started!
Momma’s Chunky Potato Soup
3 red potatoes
2 cups of water
1 small onion
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Crushed red pepper flakes
Ground black pepper
3 cups of milk
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 cup cubed ham
Chunky Potato Soup Recipe
1. Peel potatoes and cut into 1-inch cubes. (I actually used Russet potatoes this time around, so if you don’t have any red potatoes on hand, no worries!)
2. Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add potatoes and cook until tender. Drain, reserving liquid. Set aside potatoes. Measure 1 cup cooking liquid, adding water, if necessary; set aside.
As you can see, when I drain the liquid, I drain it right into a measuring cup. Easy peasy!
3. Peel and finely chop the onion. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion to saucepan; cook, stirring frequently until onion is translucent and tender, but not brown.
4. Add flour to saucepan; season with pepper flakes and black pepper to taste. Cook 3 to 4 minutes. (I normally leave out the pepper flakes so I can garnish with them, so you could do that, as well!)
5. Gradually add potatoes, reserved 1 cup cooking liquid, milk, and sugar to onion mixture in saucepan; stir well. Add cheese and ham. And let me just say something about the ham: add any kind you like! This is great if you’ve had a ham for some kind of holiday dinner and you have lots of leftovers! And if you have no ham and want to be cost-effective, just grab a canned ham and use that! Simmer over low heat 30 minutes, stirring frequently. Store leftovers, covered, in the refrigerator.
You can see that at first, it’s VERY thin. No worries, it will thicken up very nicely!
And there you have it! Y’all, it is SO GOOD!
I normally garnish with the red pepper flakes (or bacon bits!), and serve it with some rolls or biscuits, as pictured. I should really serve it with some salad, but I figure there are already enough carbs in it – how are a few more really gonna hurt anything at this point?!
If you try it, I’d love to hear what you think!
8 thoughts on “Chunky Potato Soup Recipe”
Kristen, your soup sounds and looks delicious! It's such a blustery day today, a bowl would be good right now! Pinning.
Now that is my kind of soup!
Oh, I love the ham and cheese in that potato soup…YUM! And bring on the rolls! 🙂
Life With Lorelai
Looks yummy and now I'm hungry. Might try this one tomorrow. Thanks for sharing, Kristen!
Looks so yummy! Thanks for sharing… always looking for new soup recipes!
This looks great and yummy. I am looking forward to winter when soups are great. Blessings and thanks for sharing at Good Morning Mondays.
What class, it's really smart and is ideal for winter evenings!
This recipe looks absolutely delicious. Can’t wait to try it and see if it is a hit with my boys. Stopping by from the Good Tips Tuesday link up!