HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYBODY!! There is so much for me and the lou lou girls to be grateful for. Last night I was grateful for my husband the perfectionist, I guess I’m not so good at rolling out pie crust and he’s amazing at it! This season is crazy and fun! Today, we’re going to eat turkey, take a nap and perhaps go see a movie. Now Ben and I are the only ones who like cherry pie so I had to make some from scratch. This pie is so good, you’ll never go back to store bought again! I used the crust from the Apple Pie Squares on this same blog click here for the detailed directions! Have a great day and eat lots of pie!
Here are the ingredients for the pie crust, click the link above for the detailed directions!
3 1/2 cups of flour spooned
1 1/2 cup All Vegetable Crisco
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water
3 cans of Oregon tart cherries in water
4 1/2 tablespoons of cornstarch
1 1/3 cup of sugar
1/8 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2. Put the cherries in a big sauce pan, using only the water from 1 and 1/2 cans, strain off the rest of the water. Mix in the cornstarch, sugar, salt and vanilla extract. Bring to a simmer and allow to simmer stirring occasionally on Medium low heat. Allow to cook for 10 minutes.
3. Pull from heat and allow to cool. While it cools, roll out the pie crust to put in the bottom of the pie dish.
4. Preheat heat oven to 425 degrees.
5. Once cherries are cool dump in the pie crust and then we rolled out the remaining pie dough and cut into strips and weaved over the top of the pie. Pinch the edges together to seal the crust together.
6. Bake at 425 for 20 minutes. Then lower the heat to 375 and cook for an additional 40 minutes. When you lower the temperature, add the pie crust shield to the edges so that they don’t burn.
This pie is so easy!! Enjoy!