My cute hubby is on a mission to get healthy! I must admit I haven’t made it easy for him lately, trying new recipes for the blog. I love when I find something that is healthy and low in calories that tastes incredible. This is so good that you will think that you are cheating on your own quest to be healthy, and the best part, the kids will like it too!
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
2 garlic clove, chopped
3 1/2 cups frozen corn
2 yellow potatoes, diced
5 cups milk (we used 1%)
2 bouillon cubes
1 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
1/4 cup low fat sour cream
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
crumbled queso fresco
Directions: Printable Recipe
Heat in a heavy pot on a medium heat. Add oil and sauté onion and garlic for a couple minutes.
- Add the corn, potatoes, milk bouillon, salt, pepper and cilantro, bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover pot and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Stir occasionally.
- Remove from heat, add sour cream to the soup and puree soup in the blender. Be careful, you don’t want to burn yourself! Return it to the pot.
- You can decide if you need more salt and pepper at this time.
- Pour into bowl and garnish each bowl with corn kernels and the queso fresco cheese. Sprinkle a little cilantro on top.