Strawberry Colada Cupcakes – Strawberry and coconut cupcakes topped with toasted coconut! If you’re looking for cupcakes that make you feel like you’re on a beach, you’ll love these!
Lisa came home from school and told me that she had checked out a book for me from the library. It was so cute, she had brought home The Betty Crocker Big Book of Cupcakes, she thought this would help me with the blog!
How cute is that, my sixth grader is looking out for her mom. In honor of Lisa Kailey and her big heart, I’m sharing these delicious cupcakes! You will truly love this tasty treat.
1 cup pureed strawberries
1/2 cup canned coconut milk
1 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 whole egg
2 egg whites
1/4 cup well-drained crushed pineapple
1 cup butter, softened
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon coconut extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3 Tablespoons strawberry puree
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- Pour 2/3 cup puree into a small bowl, stir in coconut milk, 1 1/2 coconut extract, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Reserve remaining puree for frosting.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In another bowl, beat butter, and sugar with mixer, until light and fluffy. Add the whole egg and egg whites, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the strawberry-coconut milk mixture and mix it well. Gradually add the flour mixture until well blended.
- Divide batter evenly among the cupcake cups. Filling each about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 18 to 22 minutes or until centers springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes; remove from the pans to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat 1 cup butter with a mixer until light and fluffy. On low speed, beat in powdered sugar, about 1/2 cup at a time. Stir in 1 teaspoon coconut extract, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and 3 Tablespoons strawberry puree just until blended.
- Frost each cupcake and garnish with toasted coconut and a slice of strawberry!