Rustic pizza dough is one of the easiest, tastiest homemade pizza dough recipes.
With Zac studying for the bar all summer, he has needed a pass time activity that would take his mind off the test of his life! Zac showed up the other night and told me we were going to make homemade pizza with all homemade ingredients.
It sounded like a great challenge and we always want to eat healthier. This was the BEST pizza I have ever had!
I’m going to start with the crust and then share the marinara sauce and then fresh Mozzarella cheese, tomorrow! Please join me with each of these steps, you won’t be disappointed!
3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup orange juice
3/4 cup water
1 1/2 cups white flour
1/4 cup orange juice
1/3 cup water
1/2 teaspoon yeast
- Mix ingredients for the two dough’s in different bowls and keep separate. Cover bowls with plastic wrap and place them in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day, take out of the refrigerator and allow to get to room temperature. Combine the two doughs together. Add 2 teaspoons of yeast that has been prepped and 1 Tablespoon of salt.
- Knead together until well mixed and the dough is stretchy. It will be a little tacky but not sticky. If it is sticky add a little flour.
- Grease a new bowl and place dough inside. Cover and let rise for about1 hour to 1 1/2 hours. The dough will rise to 1 1/2 to double in size.
- Cut into 5 equal balls and create a tight surface on top by pushing your thumbs in the middle of the ball.
- Cover cookie sheet with parchment paper and place dough balls on top. Cover with plastic wrap. Let sit for about 45 minutes or when its size has increased by 1 1/2 to double.
- To prepare the individual crust, hand stretch by pulling from the edges only! Pull until the crust is 6 to 8 inches and then let it rest for 5 minutes and then repeat until the crust is 1/8 inch.
- Preheat the oven to the maximum heat of your oven, with the cooking stone inside. Make sure to dust stone with cornmeal or place uncooked crust on parchment paper.
- Build your crust with your favorite pizza toppings and place on the cooking stone and cook for about 8 minutes or the crust looks crunchy. Remember, the whole wheat crust will look brown before it is done.