Strawberries are in season and they look beautiful!!!! My family loves anything that has strawberries. We bought a large thing of strawberries at Costco and our plan was to make strawberry shortcake for Easter but since we were going to the lake, I wanted to make something that was a little easier to transport. This is what we came up with. It was a big hit at the party and everyone was having seconds!!!!
1 cup sour cream
1 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 cups flour
cream cheese layer:
1 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
1 cup vanilla yogurt
2/3 cup powdered sugar
6 cups sliced fresh strawberries
2/3 cup white sugar
2/3 cup water
4 Tablespoons strawberry flavored Jell-O
4 Tablespoons cornstarch cornstarch
- Cookie layer: Combine Sour cream, butter and sugar. Add the eggs and the vanilla until well blended.
- Add the baking soda and salt and mix well. Slowly add the flour and mix well.
- Chill for at least an 1/2 hour to an hour in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Press dough into a greased cookie sheet. About 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Cook for about 15 to 20 minutes, the edges will be a little golden brown. Let completely cool.
- Cream cheese layer: Combine the cream cheese, yogurt and powdered sugar until its light and fluffy. Spread onto the COOLED cookie base.
- Strawberry glaze: Mix together the sugar, water gelatin and cornstarch in a saucepan. Boil for one minute. Remove from the heat.
- Fold in the sliced strawberries until they are well coated. Let cool for a few minutes. Gently spread this onto the cream cheese layer.
- Garnish with whip cream