My girls love grilled cheese sandwiches and when we want something that just screams “HOME”, we usually make a yummy cheesy sandwich. This is a grilled cheese sandwich on steroids!! The flavor is over the top and it’s really easy to throw together.
1 Crusty sourdough loaf- make your slices into 1/2 inch pieces
1 pound sliced Cheddar Cheese
1 cup Spinach leaves
1 stick butter, softened
Extra Virgin olive oil
1 Onion, chopped
3 Garlic Cloves, minced
4.5 ounces Tomato Paste
1 Tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon Thyme
1 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
1 cup Milk
1/2 cup Heavy Cream
1/4 cup Monterey Jack Cheese- grated
1/4 cup Cheddar Cheese- grated
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease a baking dish with cooking spray. Butter both sides of each piece of bread and season with salt and pepper.
- Place bread on a baking sheet and cook until golden brown, flipping once, about 8 minutes. Put the sandwiches together by using two slices of bread, 3 slices of cheese and 4 to 5 spinach leaves. The spinach should be between the slices of cheese. Cut the sandwiches into 4 pieces each.
- Heat a large pan on a medium heat with a few tablespoons of Olive oil. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onions are caramelized. Season with salt and pepper. Add the tomato paste, paprika, thyme and pepper flakes and cook until it turns to a rust-like color.
- Reduce heat to low and whisk in the milk and cream. Bring to a boil.
- Arrange the sandwiches into the baking dish, make sure the sandwiches are not touching each other. Pour the egg mixture over and sprinkle the grated cheeses on top and bake for 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Serve warm.