My cute Cassie was married at the end of November of last year. Cassie has always known what she wanted for her wedding and it turned out beautiful!! No matter how close or great your relationship is with your child, there is stress when it comes to planning a wedding.
This is a quick guide to help you help your child make their special day hassle-free.
1. Get rid of your own expectations. Remember this is their wedding. Too much input from you can cause a lot stress and you should be trying to be their support system. If money is a issue, give them a budget and be honest about what you can do financially.
2. Pick your battles. If there is something that you would love to see happen at the wedding; a family tradition, a mother-son dance, choose the most important one., suggest it and if they say “no”, let it go.
3. Start out on the right foot. Let the couple know what you will be able to help them with and they can tell you what they will need. That will usually get you invited to help more than if you try to bulldoze them with your ideas.
4. Don’t promise more than you can deliver. You love them and you want to do everything for them, but only volunteer to help with things that are realistic and make sure you do it.
5. Get to know the in-laws. It is really important to make sure that your on the same page as the in-laws. This gives everyone a chance to know their roll in the upcoming wedding. We got together and went over the duties of the parents of the bride and what was expected of the grooms parents.
6. Don’t try to outdo the other parents. It’s hard to let go and not to do everything for your child, but you should work as a team. Be sensitive of the other parents, you might have more resources but this is not a competition for the best parent in the world. The goal is to make the day special for the couple.
7. Keep you mouth shut! Even if you don’t love everything about the wedding, keep it to yourself. Remember, this is not your wedding and what you say to someone involved might get back to the couple. It’s their wedding and you want to make sure their day is magical.
8. Twitter patted. Remember, even if your child is always organized and your relationship couldn’t be any better, they are in love!!! They are trying to be your child but this is new territory for them, so be patient!