Do you want to make something fun for dinner??? And still, have a delicious meal???? This fits the description to a tee!!!!
The popcorn chicken makes fun finger food for your little ones but the chicken is so tender that you will find yourself making this recipe over and over again.
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper(optional)
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric (optional)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
black pepper, to taste
vegetable oil, for deep frying
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces. In a large bowl combine the chicken pieces, buttermilk, and salt.
- Cover, and chill in the fridge for a minimum of 1 hour and up to 8 hours.
- In a large Ziploc bag, combine the flour, 1 teaspoon of salt, baking powder, cayenne pepper, oregano, turmeric, garlic powder, and pepper. Seal the bag and shake well.
Putting it all together:
- In a heavy saucepan, heat 4 to 6 inches of oil over medium heat, until the oil is hot. Remove 1/3 of the chicken pieces from the buttermilk with a slotted spoon, and place them in the plastic bag with the breading.
- Seal the bag, and shake to coat all the pieces well.
- Remove each piece individually. Carefully, add the chicken to the hot oil. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Once cooked, let the chicken drain on a paper towel. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
Honey Mustard Sauce:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 Tablespoons yellow mustard
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 Tablespoons honey
1/2 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Mix all the ingredients together. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for about an hour.