Need a pie recipe?? I’m not kidding when I say this is the best ever! This is my Dad’s recipe and he makes a pie every Sunday during the fall so you better believe he has mastered the art!
The very first time he made one I kept asking him where he’d bought it because I couldn’t believe he’d made something that tasted so good. (He loves to tell that story…) Try it out!
2 c all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 c shortening
4 Tbsp. cold water
7 c thinly sliced peeled baking apples (fresh green ones from a tree are the best!)
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 c sugar
1/4 c all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp. butter
1 egg yoke
1 Tbsp. water
1. In a bowl, combine flour and salt.
2. Cut in shortening.
3. Gradually add cold water 1 Tbsp. at a time tossing lightly with a fork until dough forms a ball.
4. Chill for 30 minutes
5. On a floured surface, roll half of dough into a 10 inch circle and place into a 9 inch pie pan.
6. In another bowl, toss apples with lemon juice.
7. Combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg; add to apples and toss.
8. Pour into crust and dot with butter.
9. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Cut slits in top and pla e over filling.
10. Seal and flute the edges.
11. Beat egg yolk and water and brush over the pastry.
12. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes.
13. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F and bake 40-45 minutes more or until crust is golden and the filling is bubbly.
Serve with ice cream and LOVE every bite!!