Presentation is everything!! I went to my niece’s wedding and they served appetizers in serving spoons, that was it, I knew I had to find something I could serve in a spoon.
I found the spoons on Amazon. The spoons are plastic, so you can throw them away and they are not pricey to buy.
Canola oil, for frying
1 cup seltzer water (we used S. Pellegrino, mineral water)
1 1/2 cups flour, plus 1/2 cup to dredge the apples
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
4 green apples, peeled and cored, cut into bite size pieces
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon sugar
- In a pot, heat enough oil to come halfway up the side of the pot, to 375 degrees or until a drop of water makes it sizzle.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, seltzer, 1 1/2 cups of flour, cream of tartar, cinnamon and sugar.
- Dredge the apples, first in 1/2 cup of flour, and then into the batter. Make sure the apples are coated well with the batter.
- Fry the apples in batches, until crispy and golden brown.
- Drain on a paper towel. Dust the apples with cinnamon and sugar mixture.
- Place a dollop of your favorite caramel or chocolate sauce in the spoons, and then place the dumpling on top.