Every Fall, we go for a ride in the mountains, to see the beautiful leaves! This year, was no exception! What’s a ride with your sweetheart unless you take along a treat??? We usually buy the same treats, Hot Tamales, Good and Plenty’s and M & M’s. So you can imagine my surprise when Mikie brought out a Almond Joy, especially when he always says he HATES coconut! His explanation……….I didn’t know it had coconut in it!!!!
Well, I had to see if we could make a homemade version that would stand up to the original!! Andie and her friends loved them!!!!
9 ounces sweetened condensed milk ( 3/4 of a 14 ounce can)
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups powder sugar
14 ounce bag shredded coconut (about 2 1/2 cups)
1 cup whole almonds
1 package of milk chocolate chips ( I don’t like dark chocolate, but you can use it instead)
- Spray a cookie sheet with a non stick spray.
- In a bowl, combine the sweetened condensed milk, vanilla, and salt. Stir together until mixed.
- Add the powder sugar to the bowl with the condensed milk, and stir it in. It will be stiff at first, but keep stirring and it will turn into a thick and smooth mixture.
- Now add the coconut!!! Mix it with the condensed milk until there are no dry areas remaining. You can use a mixer, but a wooden spoon works great!!
- The coconut mixture should be sticky but pretty stiff. If its still runny, add a little more coconut.
- Scrape the coconut onto a greased counter top. Take a small, round cookie cutter and cut out your circles.
- Place them onto your greased cookie sheet. Gently press almonds into the circle.
- Place tray into the freezer, for about an hour. This will make it easier to cover with chocolate.
- Melt chocolate chips in the microwave for about 1 minute or until you can stir them into a smooth mixture. This depends on your microwave, do not over heat!
- Dunk circles into the chocolate, make sure its completely covered with chocolate. Place on cookie sheet to dry.