We were having the missionaries over for dinner on Sunday, so of course, I needed to have a yummy, delicious dessert. This is great because it can be as simple as you want it to be or you can go all gourmet, you get to decide. This screams “FALL”!
For the doughnut
1 package Pillsbury Biscuits (the cheap ones work well)
1/2 cup butter, softened
8 ounce cream cheese, softened
3 to 4 cups powder sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Apple Pie Filling
2 cups apples, sliced
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 Tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup water
- In a large skillet, heat oil. You want about 1/2 to 3/4 inch of oil in the pan. Bring oil to a sizzle when you drop a couple drops of water into it. I like a medium heat because that will make sure your donut will cook evenly, instead of just cooking the outside.
- Separate the biscuits and cut a circle in the middle. I used an old prescription bottle. The holes just pop right out. Fry each biscuit for 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until its golden brown. Place on a plate with paper towels so it can soak up the extra oil from the donut. Let cool.
- While donuts are cooling, prepare apple pie filling. In a small saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and water and bring it to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add apples slices and reduce heat to simmer. Cover and simmer for about 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
- For the frosting, beat butter, vanilla and cream cheese for 3 minutes until fluffy. Add the powder sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- To assemble, frost cooled doughnuts with cream cheese frosting. Top with the cooled apple pie filling. Drizzle with your favorite caramel sauce and peanuts.
You can serve with ice cream or a dollop of whip topping. You will love, love it!