I love cupcakes in the summer because they are easy to take to parties and easy to serve! I have looked and tested different recipes trying to find a GOOD white cake recipe because homemade is always better than store bought. I love having a white cake recipe because you can add different ingredients to make different cakes with having this as your base.
My daughter, Lisa, took this batch of cupcakes to her film camp and got thumbs up on this recipe! The icing is watermelon flavor with crushed up watermelon jolly ranchers for the sprinkles!
5 egg whites
1 cup milk (or buttermilk)
1 Tablespoon vanilla
3 cups cake flour
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons white vinegar
3/4 cup softened butter
1 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350
- Put cupcake liners in muffin pans
- In a small bowl combine the milk and vinegar. Allow to sit for a minute, and then add the baking soda
- In a medium bowl lightly combine the egg whites, a quarter cup milk, and the vanilla
- In a different mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients and mix them together on low speed.
- add the butter and remaining 3/4 cup milk mixture. Mix on low speed until dry ingredients are moistened. Increase to medium speed and beat for 2 minutes to add air.
- Scrape down the sides and add a small amount of the egg mixture, beating for 20 seconds to combine. Continue with the same method two more times until all the egg mixture has been combined.
- Add the boiling water. Keep scraping sides to make sure it is well mixed. Beat on low until ingredients are incorporated then increase to high for 30 seconds.
- Pour into cupcakes liners (3/4 full)
- Bake 15 to 17 minutes.
Note: We can use regular flour but the cake flour will make your cupcakes more fluffy and light. Here is a cake flour substitute.
Yields 2 cups:
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
- Combine the flour and cornstarch and your ready to proceed with your recipe!
6 Tablespoons softened butter
2 teaspoons watermelon flavoring oil
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
2 Tablespoons milk
5 to 6 cups powder sugar
- Mix until light and fluffy!
I crushed the watermelon jolly ranchers in my Ninja blender for the garnish. I hope you enjoy this recipe!!